The Transfer Center is available to assist students in making their transition to a four-year college/university. Among the many services available to students are CSU/UC application workshops, on-campus visits by university representatives, visits to university campuses, articulation information, and agreements with colleges/universities. At each site this information can be acquired from the counselor or advisor.
October is Transfer Awareness Month!
Come join us and learn more about the transfer process! 2013 Fall Transfer Awareness Calendar
|Date & Time||Location||Event|
|October 1, 2013 12:30p-1:30p||Counseling||Transfer Awareness Kick Off Event
Come and support Transfer Awareness Month on October 1st. We'll have pizza to celebrate! Meet with Cerro Coso faculty and staff and learn about their Alma Maters.
|October 2, 2013 12:30p-1:30p||Counseling||CSU Information Handouts
Are looking for more information about different CSU campuses? Stop by the Career and Transfer Center to pick up information about the CSU campuses you are interested in attending
|October 8, 2013 12:30p-1:30p||LRC 709||CSU Application Workshop
Do you need assistance in filling out the CSU Application? This workshop will show you how!
|October 15, 2013 12:30p-1:30p||Counseling||Calculating Your Transfer GPA
You know that one question on your transfer application that says "what is your transferable GPA?" This workshop will show you how to calculate your transfer GPA so that you feel confident about answering that question.
|October 16, 2013 12:00p-1:30p||Student Center||National University on Cerro Coso Campus
Are you interested in attending the online college, National University? A National University representative will be on the Cerro Coso campus to answer your questions about attending National University. Also, learn more about scholarships that are available to Cerro Coso students that transfer to National University.
|October 17, 2013 12:30p-1:00p||LRC 709||Helpful Transfer Websites
There are wonderful websites for transfer students to use to help make transfer easy. This workshop will go over the websites in detail and show you how to be in charge of your transfer experience.
|October 22, 2013 12:30p-1:00p||Counseling||UC Information and Handouts
Are looking for more information about different UC campuses? Stop by the Career and Transfer Center to pick up information about the UC campuses you are interested in attending.
|October 24, 2013 10:30a-12:30p||Student Center||CSU Bakersfield on Cerro Coso Campus
Are you interested in transferring to CSU Bakersfield next fall? A CSUB representative will be on the Cerro Coso (IWV) campus to offer to discuss what it takes to transfer to CSUB or any CSU. You must sign up at the Cerro Coso Counseling Desk to reserve your appointment time to meet with the CSUB rep.
|October 24, 2013 12:30p-1:30p||Counseling||A Degree with a Guarantee Information
SB 1440 guarantees that a student who completes a transfer degree (currently Cerro Coso offers two: AS-T Administration of Justice and AA-T Mathematics) is guaranteed priority admission with junior status to a CSU campus with "similar" major. Students who transfers with an AA-T/AS-T are guaranteed to complete their Baccalaureate Degree at the CSU within 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Come learn more and if this degree is right for you.
|October 29, 2013 12:30p-1:30p||LRC 709||UC Application Workshop
Want to get a jump start on your UC Application? This workshop will help you with getting started and show you the process of filling out the UC application. If you need assistance, please stop by!
|October 31, 2013 12:30p-1:00p||Counseling||UC Personal Statement Assistance
Are you transferring to a UC? You will need to provide a personal statement on your UC application. This workshop will provide you with guidelines that the UC campuses are looking for in your personal statement.
Cerro Coso Community College offers "lower division" (freshman and sophomore level) General Education and major preparation courses equivalent to those at a four year university. After you transfer, you will complete your "upper division" courses at the university.
Prior to Your First Semester
- File the FAFSA in January or February of the year prior to when you will be attending school. Visit the Financial Aid Office website to learn more. You can access the FAFSA form at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Take the assessment test for English, Math, and Reading. You can make an appointment to take these tests by contacting the Cerro Coso campus nearest you.
Your First Semester
- Begin your English and math in your first semester.
- Make an appointment with a counselor to set up a Student Education Plan (SEP).
- Determine which General Education (GE) pattern you should follow (IGETC or CSU Certification).
- To determine major preparation coursework, please visit www.assist.org. (Keep in mind that for some majors it is more important to complete major preparation than to complete the general education requirements. Please discuss this with your counselor.
- Check to see if your major is impacted; for CSU go to www.calstate.edu/SAS/impactioninfo.shtml and for UC, please see your college counselor. If your major is impacted you may have to meet supplemental admission criteria.
During Your Time at Cerro Coso Community College
- Meet with your counselor each semester to check your academic progress and to make sure the classes you are taking will transfer.
- Visit the Career and Transfer Center
- Sign up for Transfer Q&A Workshop (offered mid-semester)
- Meet with university representatives (check this page for Rep visits)
- Prioritize completion of core classes
- CSU Golden Four: Math, Critical Thinking, Oral Communication, and English Composition
- UC Seven Course Pattern: See the IGETC GE Pattern
- Complete a minimum of 60 transferable units.
The Year Before You Transfer
- For fall admission, apply a year in advance of when you plan on transferring. You can apply online to CSU at www.csumentor.edu and/or UC at www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions
- All minimum admissions requirements, major preparation, and 60 transferable units need to be completed in the spring semester prior to transfer. Summer courses before transfer will not be accepted.
- Complete the FAFSA in January to ensure your financial aid award for the upcoming year. Also, check out scholarship opportunities.
You will be notified of your acceptance in late March or April
Let the Career and Transfer Center know when you have been accepted, because a huge CONGRATULATIONS will be inorder!!!
Cerro Coso College Board Code: 004027