Job Development Services
About Our Services
The Career Center is a place to find out information about job development skills and employment options. The center is available to all Cerro Coso prospective, current, and alumni students. Our goal as the Career Center is to provide students with career planning and job development skills.
For Students with career needs:
Our services, located in the Career/Transfer Center, Room 224, are open to all students and visitors from the community and include:
- Finding a job YOU want
- Resume writing
- Job interview skills
- Interview role-playing
- Career planning
- Job search
- Getting you in touch with part-time, full-time, temporary, permanent, or summer employment opportunities
Please contact the staff at your extension office to determine the local availability of career counseling activities available to you.
Now Hiring for Spring 2014 Work Study Positions
Work Study positions are for financial aid qualified students only. Apply for current work study positions here. The job development specialist will contact you for more information.
- Admissions and Records Student Worker
- Provides general administrative support to the Admissions and Records office staff. Duties include, but are not limited to data entry, customer service, and filing.
- Positions available at the Ridgecrest/IWV and Kern River Valley campuses.
- Computer Lab Student Worker
- Supports staff and students in aiding student learning and performing general computer lab troubleshooting.
- Positions available at Kern River Valley Campus only.
- Counseling Center Student Worker
- Assists Counseling staff in daily tasks and organizational projects. Duties include, but are not limited to tending to front desk, greeting and helping incoming students, answering desk phones, filing, and data entry.
- Positions available at Ridgecrest/IWV campus only.
- Child Development Center Student Worker
- Assisting staff with the supervision of pre-school aged children. Duties include, but are not limited to overseeing play and learning activities, cleaning, kitchen work, and clerical duties.
- Positions available at the California City Campus.
- Financial Aid Student Worker
- Provides general administrative support to the Financial Aid office staff. Duties include, but are not limited to data entry, customer service, and filing.
- Positions available at the Ridgecrest/IWV campus only.
Current Job Openings in the Community
Check indeed.com for local listings.
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- The CDCR is recruiting for thousands of positions. Minimum qualifications: 21 years old, US Citizen (or applied), no felony convictions, US High School diploma or GED, History of law abiding behavior. Monthly salary ranges from $3,050 while at the academy, to $3,774-$6,389 after the academy. Apply Online
Cerro Coso also offers online career services through several different websites. The following are just a few:
- ECOS (Education and Career Opportunities System) is a web-based career and college guidance system provided by Cerro Coso.
Log on as a New User and set up your account: Membership Code: 4702730330
- Wondering how to connect majors to careers? Click on MAJORS of interest to see outlines of common career areas: http://whatcanidowiththismajor.com/major/
SCEP has changed to PATHWAYS
For students and recent graduates to federal careers!
This program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of education institutions, from high school to graduate level, with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school and while getting paid for the work performed. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service. Interns may be converted to a permanent position within 120 days of successful completion of the program. Addition information can be found at: https://www.usajobs.gov/studentsandgrads.
For Employers with recruiting needs:
Our services are available to businesses in the IWV community and extension locations. You may be eligible to hire a CalWORKs student and receive financial assistance with your employment costs. Please call (760) 384-6276 or fill out our Employer Recruiting Info form to discuss our helping you with your recruiting needs.