CC Online Class Checklist
If you are considering taking an online course, please read the following information very carefully. If after reading the information completely, you decide to take an online course, please use this page as a checklist to ensure that your transition to online education is a smooth one.
Note: All Cerro Coso College online courses require that you have access to the Internet, through your own Internet Service Provider, or through one of the college's computer labs.
Carefully read the Course description in the schedule of classes for each online course that you are considering.
Important Qualities of a Successful Online Student
- Must be self-reliant and self-motivated
- Must have good self-discipline
- Must have good, basic computer skills
- The ability to read carefully and to follow written instructions
Pay special attention to the "user level" recommended for the course.
Basic User Requirements
- Ability to access the internet using an Internet Service Provider or through the College computer lab
- Proficient in using a web browser
- Proficient sending and receiving email
Intermediate User Requirements
- Meet Basic requirements
- Proficient in using a word processing program
- Proficient at sending attachments via e-mail
- Proficient at downloading software or documents
Advanced User Requirements
- Meet Intermediate Requirements
- Meet additional special requirements that are specified for this particular class
Hardware/Software Basic Requirements
Pay special attention to the hardware or software requirements for the course.
- Computer, either a Macintosh or IBM compatible
- DSL or cable modem
Hardware and software requirements may vary depending upon the course that you are taking. Be sure to read the course description and look for special computer requirements. At a minimum, you should have:
- Web browser software, preferably Firefox or Chrome or Internet Explorer 8 or better
- An e-mail program
- A word processing program
Be aware of the start and ending date for each class that you are considering.
Consider your courses carefully. Online courses can be even more time consuming that traditional on-campus classes. Don't try to take on too much!!
Enroll in your Online Course
Online Enrollment and Registration Procedures are carefully described on the Admissions page.
Ordering Class Materials
Order your course materials and text books.
- Online course material and books are available by ordering online or picking up in person at the bookstore located at the Indian Wells Valley campus. It takes one week to ten days to order books; please plan ahead.
- Required course materials and text books are listed with each course description in the schedule of classes.
- All course materials and textbook, unless other wise specified, are required for the first day of class.
Starting your online class
- On the Friday before the first day of class, go to the InsideCC portal.
- Log in using your school assigned email address and BanWeb pin.
- Click on the "My Courses" tab.
- Find the course(s) that you are taking and click on the course reference number (CRN).
- You must access EACH class you are enrolled in, in order to be counted.
- From the Friday before the course starts, until 8 P.M. on the start date of the class, it is your responsibility to login to the class, and follow the instructor's instructions. If registered students do NOT access their course(s) before 8 P.M on the START DATE of the course, they will be be dropped so that the Waiting List students can roll in. Waiting List student who become registered after the start date, will have until the first Thursday to access their course(s). Waiting List students cannot access their courses until they become registered in a it.