Business Office Technology
The Business Office Technology Associate in Science Degree (60 units total, 30 units in the major) prepares learners for challenging positions as administrative assistants and office managers through courses in communication, industry standard computer applications, business, and bookkeeping in order to meet the needs of the technologically dynamic office.
This degree is not specifically designed for transfer. Courses required for the associate degree major at Cerro Coso Community College may not be the same as those required for the major at a four-year school. If you plan to transfer, consult a counselor and http://www.assist.org/ to identify the courses needed from the major at your transfer school and to develop a plan that will best meet your goals.
You must complete a minimum of 60 units, including the courses listed in the major and general education requirements, with an overall GPA of 2.0 or better, and a grade of "A", "B", or "C" in all courses for the major. A minimum of 12 units must be completed at Cerro Coso Community College.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be able to
- Achieve business standards for efficiency, time management, and quality of work while projecting a professional image including ethical standards with respect to privacy, confidentiality, and personal behavior both independently and in group situations.
- Apply fundamental principles of spelling, grammar, and punctuation to a wide variety of business communication messages, documents, and reports appropriate for the intended audience.
- Select, apply, and adapt computer software tools such as word processing, spreadsheet, data base, accounting, presentation, and desktop publishing, to business related tasks and assess the logic of the results.
- Analyze and record a variety of business financial transactions such as petty cash, bank deposits, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Apply standard records management procedures when establishing and maintaining systems to classify, organize, store, and retrieve hard copy and electronic files.
- Demonstrate active listening skills to accurately condense and record verbal information, instructions, and ideas.
- CC Online [Degree Pathway]
Note: Some courses within the major may have a required prerequisite. If you feel you have equivalent knowledge and skills to those included in the prerequisite course through professional experience, licensure, or certification, you have the opportunity to submit a Prerequisite Challenge to be reviewed by the faculty chair. For the Prerequisite Challenge to be considered, you must submit documentation/verification to substantiate the basis for the challenge. Please consult a counselor for more information regarding Prerequisite Challenge.
Complete all of the following courses:
|BSAD C070||Business Mathematics||3 Units|
|BSAD C072||Introduction to Accounting||3|
|BSAD C145||Business Communication||3|
|BSOT C100||Introduction to Business Office Technology||3|
|BSOT C127||MS PowerPoint||1|
|BSOT C132||Intermediate Computer Keyboarding||1|
|BSOT C133||Advanced Computer Keyboarding||1|
|BSOT C154||Office Personnel Seminar||3|
|CSCI C070||Computer Literacy||1|
|CSCI C121||Beginning Word||1|
|CSCI C151||Intermediate Word||1|
|CSCI C123||Beginning Excel||1|
|CSCI C153||Intermediate Excel||1|
|CSCI C125||Beginning Access||1|
|CSCI C155||Intermediate Access||1|
|CSCI C161||Advanced Word||1|
Select 4 units from the following courses:
|CSCI C129||MS Outlook||1 Unit|
|CSCI C135||Beginning Adobe Acrobat||1|
|CSCI C163||Advanced Excel||1|
|CSCI C165||Advanced Access||1|
|CSCI C171||Introduction to the Internet and the World Wide Web||1|
Complete one of the following general education patterns:
|OPTION A||Cerro Coso Local General Education Pattern|
|OPTION B||CSU General Education Breadth|
|OPTION C||IGETC - Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum|